Saturday, February 23, 2013

Movie review - Anybody can Dance

The kiddos and I went for a movie recently. Titled "Anybody Can Dance", this was the very essence of our approach to dance too. First, the review

The movie is made by Remo D'Souza, whose first movie F.A.L.T.U. was a pretty insightful look into youngsters lives today. So ofcourse, there were expectations - especially since this dealt with his core competence - Dance.

I went into the movie hall with mixed feelings - the reviews ranged from excited whoops to "bleh"s.... so I was prepared for a boring 2 and a half hours. The saving grace being, there was some dancing we could look forward to.

The plot, as almost everyone pointed out, was cliched. But then, so is life.

At the risk of sounding less than intelligent, I must say this was an enjoyable movie. Yes, there are cheesy dialogues, cliched twists, juvenile emoting skills by the actors (well, in their defence, they are dancers, not actors) and a less than surprising finale to the whole thing.

So, do I hear you ask what works for the movie, then?

1. Honesty : Sheer honesty in Prabhudeva's dance steps, his earnestness in trying to get the team together, his frustrations in failing a couple of times. The honesty in the efforts of the dancers (almost all of them made famous by reality dance shows), from a drug addict depicted by Puneet, to the kohl-lined Dharmesh.

2. KayKay Menon's Acting : This guy wins you over. From the manipulations, to the media seduction to some moments of never-before seen emotions in the finale which I cannot even begin to describe in words, this guy is like an elixir who makes up for the lack of emotions on the other actors faces.

3. Dance moves : There are moments in the beginning of the movie, where you see an insipid group dance performance (which completely explains the storyline), and you wonder whether you are going to last throughout the movie. Oh but wait! This seems to be Remo D'Souza's trick (in FALTU too, he begins in a lukewarm style, taking it to a superb finale), because, the next thing you see is a chase scene which introduces all the lead characters. And this, my friend is a seeti-blowing moment! This chadse scene without fancy cars and special effects, can take on Don, Tiger and Vinod, hands down! And then there's the finale - it takes the whole experience of ABCD into a crescendo, and leaves one with a strange kind of emotion - faith, maybe.

4. Message : Yes, I am a sucker for movies with social messages - especially where the message is delivered without too much preaching. Here, it is the age old message - no shortcuts!

5 The After Effects : Allow me to explain this through a highly motivated 5 year old, who was in this mood from the moment we walked out of the theatre, all through the car ride home, and through the weekend!



The Verdict : A must watch for anyone who likes shaking a leg :-)

18 comments:

  1. I am sorry....but your 5yr old made me forget what I had in mind to fill this comment section with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! RH ... considering he has that effect on me too, you are forgiven :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Red Handed. I'm simply speechless. He's so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe..... Spiff... cute is the packaging - imagine the havoc with all that energy running loose :-)

      Delete
  3. I concur with the two ladies who have commented above - the 5 year old dancer seems more zestful than the trailer of the reviewed movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn!! looks like the video is the only thing going to be discussed in this post.

      Delete
  4. Wow! ur kid is sooo dammn cute! High-Five with him! :D

    I always had a thing fr Prabhu Deva.. he came the hard working way.. when Kadhalan came out, I remember people who said he doesnt look like a hero n stuff.. n then came 'Muqabhala' n 'Urvasi' n wow, history...

    same with his direction.. the man has truly rocked... n like they say, he truly is becoming dancing legend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree Raj - a low profiler, high achiever ... in an industry that follows the opppsite as a norm ;-) ... Hard work is the message in this movie too.

      Delete
  5. OMG, Meena!! He is so cute and super-talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe!! thanks Roshni. The flip side is - can you see how much energy he has to spend????

      Delete
  6. okay. so i want to enter inside my screen right now and hold that adorable piece of munchkin in my arms and pull his cheeks and dance with him.
    *grins*

    ooo..i have been wanting to watch the movie for long now.
    will once i get done with all the wedding hoopla.
    anything dance and i am game for it.
    top the movie with a subtle social message..
    even better!
    prabhu deva is the indian MJ for me. and remo is simply too good. looking forward to watch the movie now :)

    Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the record, Meoww ... you never get over the "Wedding Hoopla" :-D!! But that said, I am sure you will like it. An author by your side will only make the experience better - what say? ;-) ..... buahahahahaha!!!

      Delete
  7. He is so cute... I completely forgot what your review said...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jas ... there seems to be a lot of people forgetting the review ;-) ...

      Delete
  8. I see a very serious competition for PD here. That energy, we adults can only yearn for it. Let him wreck havoc..:-)

    I was contemplating if I should watch the movie. What with all those Step Up's, Street Dance, Honey and other Hollywood dance movies. But after reading your review, I may book the tickets.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!! thank you Kanthu. Do watch the movie - even if only for the chase scene and the finale - not to mention Prabhu deva

      Delete
  9. Ok. I can't see the video at the end because of some issues in my browser but going by the comments, I think it is more interesting than the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe...... thank you Amit ... I too, am gathering the same :-)

      Delete