Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hum Nahi Bhoolenge.....

Ye Dosti, Hum nahi bhoolenge...
Todenge dum magar, tera sath na chodenge..

Just had to start today with those lines from an eternal song from an eternal film. The minute someone mentions 'dosti' one remebers this song. Well, today I remember my friends. From the little 6 / 7 year old girl (who has a lovely name - Firdaus) who was one of my first friends in school, to this highly professional go getter of a 'pataka' (sorry S.D. - just HAD to call you that!!)who is an integral part of my daily routine today - even if its just through a phone call!!

Girl / Lady (incase i offend some of them!!) friends have always had a special place in my heart. I remember this friend who was with me in high school - we were part of the team that represented the school throw ball team - I was the captain, and she a fiery little thing... the good times were many but the clearest memory is when we lost a match, and she came up to hug me...

Later on, as growing up took a toll on our skin, self esteem and hormones, girlfriends were the only others who understood ... they had the same problems, after all!! We had detailed 'solution meetings' for every problem - from guys to grades.. In particular this lovely lady (now - then, she was a freckled but beautiful young thing with long pigtails and unruly curls all around her face!!) who was my 'best friend' (oh we all had them then!!) had a sensible answer for every question. Also another 'best friend' was the class topper - but hey that didn't stop her from scaling the locked gate along with the whole bunch of us,to play badminton (and later getting caught and interrogated along with all of us) ..... Chethu, Rejna, if you ladies are reading this, I just wanted to tell you I miss you all sometimes...

Have to mention here that boys did make the list too.. there are many memories. This shy person who only spoke if spoken to, who was ever willing to help anyone, who became a dear friend after a class trip .... the highly intelligent, talented but quiet performer, who I acted with in a class skit, the fabulously talented singer who would be coaxed into singing at every possible occasion. And the chap with the light eyes and silly smile, but an endearing nature....you are all such wonderful friends - all the way from school!

College - ah .. the sweet smell of freedom, of innocent jibes and silly fights, where friendships attain a new meaning!! More to follow....

2 comments: