Thursday, November 7, 2013

Pure...Rare...Eternal - Is it Love?


This post is an entry to the Platinum Day of Love competition on Indiblogger...... 

True love …… Precious……. Eternal…… Rare, isn’t it?

But is it even possible to pinpoint a specific moment, or  a day when I first felt that unmistakable tug in my heart? One can only attempt to try and put together the pieces of an exquisite puzzle called Love.... so here goes.

Perhaps the first seeds were sown when I made a dramatic entry into your office? (A little preamble here: I had just stepped into your room full of executives, and had landed flat on my face, my folder and spectacles making a beeline for the presentation table – without me ofcourse.) 

You had walked right up to me, ignoring the smirks on the cold, professional faces, and had offered a hand to help while saying, "I hope you liked the flooring. Now do check out the conference table too." I took your firm, warm hand, and I knew you were one of those rare men who stepped up to help.

As rare perhaps, as the occurrence of platinum – the rarest metal on earth.

 

It was not love at first sight, was it? You and I, we were competitors pitted against each other at work, and even more so when it came to matters of the heart. Our paths crossed, sometimes accompanied by an explosion of emotions – not always in the good sense of the word.  Then when was it that I discovered you were precious?

 

As precious perhaps, as the exclusive and much coveted platinum.

 

 Maybe it was the time you helped restore my self-esteem? Let me remind you. We were on a ‘working’ lunch at a pricey restaurant. I had fought tooth and nail to pay for ‘my share’ of the food. You finally mumbled something about “Frustrating women” and relented. 

I fished around for my wallet in my purse, burgeoning with odd items, while you waited patiently. I am sure you saw the horrific expression on my face when I couldn’t find it. I assumed I had left it in the car, so I excused myself and ran to the car to hunt out that elusive wallet.

Nope! Lady Luck had decided to play traitor – the wallet was not in the car. Oh! The very thought of sheepishly asking you to pay, after having nearly clawed your eyes out to do otherwise! I came back into the restaurant and slipped into my seat, thinking of  a plan B. 

That’s when I saw my purse was still open, but with a small modification – there were a couple of crisp currency notes in it! And there you were, completely unassuming, engrossed in the newspaper. Our eyes met for only a fleeting moment – a precious moment when I almost lost myself to you.

We became friends; but more importantly, we became each others' strengths in dealing with everything – from mundane work, to exceptionally challenging personal problems. You were even part of my adventures with the ‘arranged’ marriage route that my family was trying to close around me!

But do you know when I felt the pure love that I bask in, even today? You loved me enough to let me go – only pure love can do that!

 

Nearly as pure, perhaps, as Platinum jewelry. (for you see, Platinum is the only precious metal that can be used at 95% purity in jewelry – even gold at 91.6% and silver at 92.5% purity need more alloys to create strength to make jewelry)


We had never spoken of matters of the heart; we were happy to be the most important people in each others' lives, but we were not in love – yet. Till that day I discovered that a fluttering heart and a stuttering tongue could mean so much…….

I had just been transferred - a career option that would let me grow; the only flip side to it being that it would take me to a different city – away from you. I came to your place to tell you the mixed news, not knowing what to expect from you. You listened with a smile, only your eyes giving away the disappointment of our imminent separation.

Finally with a hug smelling of aftershave and freshly washed linen, you said, “Congrats M! You’ll be great …. You will absolutely love Bangalore!” 

We quickly moved into the excitement of my relocation, the packing and the ticking off from the lists (you were always a ‘list’ man, remember? You had a list for everything!). And ever so quickly, it was time to board that difficult train journey; the journey that would take me closer to my dreams, and yet, further away from the man of my dreams. 

As you held my hands in the same firm, warm grip that was so dear to me, you told me that you would always be there for me. Eternal – that’s what our friendship was, you said. 

 

Much like platinum is, with its durability and resistance, making exquisite jewelry last a lifetime of wear, holding precious stones securely, reliably.


And when the train pulled out reluctantly out of the platform, my heart willed for one more precious moment with you, one more hug maybe. But Alas! The Railways had decided to outdo itself this one time - it was on time! 

The train gathered speed, as did the tears from my eyes. For I had realized much too late, that I was in love. And that I had just lost the chance to ask you if the feeling was mutual. My face to the window, but my eyes shut, I tried to freeze your smile, your touch and your scent in my memory – that, after all, was what eternal meant, right? 

After what seemed like a lifetime of keeping my senses closed to the world, I finally opened my eyes.

Yup! I was officially going insane, I had decided; for I could see you, sitting right there, in front of me, trying to keep an impassive face. You smiled again, and this time you had tears too.

“What are you doing?” I had almost screamed. “The train is going to Bangalore! You don’t have a ticket. The TT’s going to be here……..” And that’s when we kissed.

You didn’t have a ticket. But you did have a plastic wire (from the seal of a mineral water bottle cap) twisted into a ring. “I know you can be stubborn, immature and frustrating. But my heart seems to have trouble focusing on those things. I seem to remember only the elation, that wonderful feeling when you are around” you had said. 

“I have to get off at the next station. But we will make this work, M. This is just to let you know what you mean to me.” You said, slipping the bright blue plastic ring onto my finger. “Next time, it will not be plastic. I promise.”

Eternal……. It hardly seems fifteen years have already passed from that day. Geographical distances, mundane practical logic, and our stubbornness have all tried to create thunderstorms in our life.

But then, Husband, we are in love, aren’t we?  Rare….. Precious…… and yes, Eternal.  

Oh! And happy thirteenth wedding anniversary, G. This time lets move away from the plastic, shall we? Platinum, perhaps?


22 comments:

  1. Loved it.. all the best, Meena :D
    Happy Anniversary to you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosh ..... Can't believe we've come so far ...

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary. Such a beautiful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, beautiful.... inspiring too ...loved it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u RAJ .... And you are kind... As always. Please do check out the other blog too..... U might like that too.... Am not publicizing that one too much

      Delete
  4. Oh my...such a beautiful oneeeeeee!!!! The falling flat on ur face made ne laugh...Rest everythin made me awww. :D

    Gooood luck with the competition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe...... Thank u Red.... Welcome back re.....

      Delete
  5. Honestly, I can't think of a better response than Awwwwwwwwwwww.

    :') God bless you both. Give your husband a hug from me, ok? Because he is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will certainly do so Spiff .... In the meanwhile do read my other post too in the other blog....

      Delete
  6. That was such a beautiful ode to the relationship. :)
    Happy Anniversary and best of luck for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 13 years itself will be platinum for me :D. nice entry. all the best for contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.... And congrats to you too

      Delete
  8. Its really a well written piece. Great work. all the best
    please read my post too and dont forget...promote it :-)
    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=295492

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aditi.... Shall go right over.

      Delete
  9. Besides cool prizes, what I like about such contests, is the fact that they help me find some really good bloggers. Glad to be here :)

    Of all contest entries I've read so far, this is the first post that made me smile :) Considering I'm also a participant, saying 'I hope you win' may not sound too honest but then, the way the story has been told, I sincerely hope (and believe) it stands a good chance...All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWww..... Raksha you are really kind.. Thankyou so much... Andall the very best to u too

      Delete
  10. Oh, forgot to wish you. Happy anniversary! :) I'm off to read a few more posts on your page. Oh,and here' my story: http://raksharaman.blogspot.in/2013/11/lost-but-found.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wishes.... Shall head out to read yours soon

      Delete
  11. Love stories like these make me go "awwwww"!
    Just too cute! :):)

    ReplyDelete